Shindzela (named after the Honey badger in the African Shangaan language) is an authentic tented Safari camp situated within the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, part of the Greater Kruger National Park. It is a simple yet comfortable and affordable South African bush camp, offering an authentic African safari experience in an unfenced, natural wilderness environment where you can explore the African wilderness on game drives in open 4×4 safari vehicles and on foot during our walking safari trails. Safari activities are conducted by professional and knowledgeable safari guides.
For our competitive Packages & Rates, inclusive of return transfers from/to Johannesburg on the daily Ashtons Kruger Shuttle, see the Rates section in the menu above.
Shindzela Tented Safari Camp is nestled within the Greater Kruger National Park, Timbavati Private Game Reserve, South Africa. It is from here that Shindzela brings you an affordable wildlife safari, where you can explore the African wilderness on game drives in open 4×4 safari vehicles and on foot during our walking safari trails.
Safari activities are conducted by professional and knowledgeable safari guides. The camp has an informal, relaxed atmosphere, and is alive with warm African hospitality. Shindzela offers guests a greater Kruger wildlife safari, in an unfenced wilderness environment. Making use of solar powered lights & gas geysers (for hot showers). They are undisturbed by some of the modern conveniences such as television, preferring to immerse ourselves in the African wilderness. Shindzela has a swimming pool in a camp overlooking our small watering hole where guests can relax and enjoy the view. The camp accommodates just 16 guests and offers both walking safaris, and game drives twice daily.
Comfortable tented bush camp, set on the banks of a dry riverbed, facing a small watering hole. We offer an authentic African safari experience in an unfenced, private and natural wilderness environment. Our Safari Tents can either be made up in twin or double bed accommodation.
Each tent is furnished with the following:
- Wooden entrance door to bedroom and bathroom
- Adjustable canvas flaps for windows and mesh to keep the insects out
- Solar main and bedside lights
- Bed side tables, chest of drawers and open style hanging rail with hangers
- Mosquito nets and amenities (body lotions, body wash, shampoo, insect repellant and hand soap)
- All bedding and towels are provided
- 2 x single beds or 1 x queen size bed
- Doom spray and peaceful sleep spray, to keep the mosquitoes out
- En-suite bathrooms with shower, flush toilet and hand basin (hot and cold running water) – Gas powered
- Corner stand fan
- Splash Pool
- Secure Parking
- Eco Friendly
- Internet Access
The camp can accommodate 16 guests in either double or twin bedded tents
Shindzela offers both game drives in open Landrovers and walking safaris.
Shindzela Tented Safari Camp is situated within the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, part of the Greater Kruger National Park. A simple, comfortable and affordable South African bush camp, offering an authentic African safari experience in an unfenced, natural wilderness environment.
The simplest and most affordable way to get between Johannesburg and the lodge is to make use of the Ashtons Kruger Shuttle, which operates daily in both directions between Johannesburg and Hoedspruit. Please note that the shuttle and onwards transfer rates are included in our packages. Before/after the 5-6 hour road transfer you will be transferred between the Bush Pub Inn (Close to the Main Gate) and Shindzela Camp. Getting to and from Shindzela could not be simpler!
- The Greater Kruger is a malaria area – please take your own precautions
- Walking shoes, neutral colored clothing, rain jacket and warm jersey/jacket
- Hat and sunglasses, sun block and insect repellent
- Torch, camera & binoculars
- Toiletries and any personal items
- Cash for entrance fees and drinks (no ATM’s in the bush)
- Booking prerequisite: guests must have adequate travel insurance to cover any emergency, casualty evacuation, and/or hospitalization for the full period of their safari
Departure Day: Daily
Total Day: 3 & 4 days
Pickup Location: Pretoria / Johannesburg Airport
Pickup Time: 05:30 – 06:45
Return Location: Johannesburg Airport/ Pretoria
Drop-Off Time: 17:30 – 19:00
Group Composition: Minimum 1
|Shindzela Tented Safari Camp Packages||2 nights||3 nights|
|Valid 06 Jan 2017 – 05 Jan 2018|
|Per Person Sharing||R5 970||R7 834|
|Single Rate||R7 725||R10 139|
|Children 10-11 yrs sharing with parents||R4 126||R5 004|
|Valid 06 Jan- 31 Dec 2018|
|Per Person Sharing||R6 896||R9 011|
|Single Rate||R7 846||R9 961|
|Children 10-11 yrs sharing with parents||R4 882||R5 940|
*Rates are listed are subject to change without notice
- All meals
- 2 game activities a day (Walking trail of about 2.5-3 hours or game drive of about 3-3.5 hours)
- teas & coffees
- Water from the water dispenser
- Return Ashtons Shuttle between JHB & Bush Pub Inn & Transfer between Bush Pub Inn and Shindzela Lodge (Includes gate fees)
- Return transfers from/to Johannesburg on the first and last days on the Ashtons Kruger Shuttle
- All drinks (including bottled water), personal expenses, gratuities & travel insurance
Timbavati Reserve Conservation Levy:
- R215.00 per guest – once off on arrival (valid till 31 Dec 2017)
- R100 per person per night as of 1 January – 31 December 2018
- Bills can be settled by cash or credit card
- All adults and children pay the same rate for the road transfers between Johannesburg and Shindzela
- No children under 10 years in camp (consideration of children at the ages 10 & 11)
- Children pay the full safari fare and are included on game drives
- No children under 16 years on walking activities
Meet the Ashtons Kruger Shuttle at OR Tambo Airport bus Terminal 06h45 and start your journey to the Kruger. On arrival in the Greater Kruger the shuttle will drop you off at the Bush Pub & Inn where you will meet your onwards transfer to the Lodge in time for lunch. Enjoy a 3 hour evening game drive and on return a wonderful dinner will be served.
End your day sitting around the campfire under a star filled sky and listen to the sound of the bush.
DAYS 2 – 3 (or more)
Your safari generally begins at dawn with a wake up call at 05h00 (06h00 in winter). Enjoy a welcome cup of tea or coffee, before setting out. (Times may vary)
Return to camp mid morning, and enjoy a hearty brunch, prepared by our safari cook. It’s then time to relax in camp, before joining in the dining area for a late lunch. During the afternoons, depending on the animal movements in the area, your guide may suggest a game drive and short walk, followed by sundowners and a night safari game drive. The timetable and activities during a safari is primarily determined around game viewing.
Return to the Lodge and freshen up before dinner at 20h30.
Set off at first light for your final guided game activity – appreciating the typical scents and sounds of the bush you will realize how much you’ve learned already! After breakfast back at the safari camp it’s time to pack up and say our reluctant goodbyes; you are then transferred back to meet the Ashtons Kruger Shuttle at 10h45 bound for Johannesburg. Whatever you have seen and done you will have had an up-close and personal experience of the real African bush and wildlife! And a whole new world of experiences awaits for your next visit